Columban missionaries have been accompanying communities along the US/MX border for over 25 years. Every day we see how border communities are models of hospitality and creative cross-cultural encounter. We’re friends with the families that call this place home, who cherish their binational heritage.
But we also see that for those that do not live here, conflicting media reports and demonizing rhetoric may be their only source of information about this beautiful place.
This workshop shows the reality beyond the rhetoric. It hopes to provide a greater understanding of what is really going on at the US/MX border and how people of faith can stand in solidarity with border communities.
The workshop is fit for any occasion: keynote presentations, assemblies and convocations, retreats and staff development, "First Friday" lecture, or whatever format works best for your community or group.
What the workshop covers
- Scriptural foundations and Catholic teaching on immigration and the reality of borders
- Demographic information about the US/MX border
- An exploration of the cultural and spiritual richness of border communities
- An overview of the federal policies that impact US/MX border communities
- Ways that your community can stand in solidarity with immigrants and the border communities that welcome them
Logistics & Costs
CCAO offers this workshop all year long, and is able to travel to any part of the country. The workshop is facilitated by a member of our staff, each of whom has experience with border communities.
CCAO asks that hosts pay for the workshop facilitator's travel and lodging. We do not charge an honorarium/speaker fee, but a donation to the Missionary Society of St. Columban is appreciated.
Schedule a workshop
For more information, or to schedule a workshop, please email email@example.com or call 202-635-5814.